RE: A706 bar vs. A615 bar

I have heard from a person at CRSI that some mills that make rebar would
like to abandon A615 bars and supply only A706 bars.  While the costs to
manufacture might be a little more there would be significant savings in
not having to maintain both inventories.  One of the difficulties in making
this move has been that some inspectors have rejected the A706 bars because
they did not have a mill certification as A615 steel, which was specified.

Thus if your want to encourage this change you should note in your specs
that the rebar shall comply with A615 Grade 60 or A706.  In addition the
Contractors should be encouraged to submit a when A615 bar is specified and
they want to use A706 bar.  I cannot think of a reason not  to approve such
a substitution.

Can anybody confirm a rumor that there is currently a shortage of #6 bar
due to a mill being out of operation?

Mark Gilligan