Re: Uplift on Belled Drilled Pier

> Question #1: What and where would I find out what these
> certain circumstances are?  Would the Bowles reference
> cover this?

The reason you don't use both simultaneously is that skin friction and end
bearing develop maximum strengths at different strain rates.  I don't have
my pier notes handy, but typically the only place you would combine skin
friction and end bearing would be for relatively short distances in hard
bedrock.

> Question #2:  The owner's design shows the 2 columns from
> the bent setting directly on the drilled pier, (there will
> be no cap connecting the two piers together, so they will
> act independently), and the anchor bolts will be cast
> directly into the drilled pier.  This tells me that I will
> need to run vertical steel the full length of the pier due
> to the lateral loads (correct me if I am wrong).  Is this
> typical to run vertical steel the full length of the
> drilled pier?

You're both right and wrong.  You need the reinforcing the full length
because of the tension.  If the pier cracks without reinforcing, then you
have no uplift resistance.  Also, if you use belled piers for tension, I
think you'll need to reinforce the bells (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).
This will require an ironworker down in the hole to tie the bars, which adds
costs on several levels (minimum 30" dia. hole, fully cased construction,
etc.). For lateral loads on relatively long piers, however, you normally
don't have to run the reinforcing the full depth. The moment diagram drops
significantly the further you go below grade.  There are several cheap or
free pier/pile design programs available to demonstrate this.  I personally
would feel much better with at least a small tie beam connecting the tops of
the piers.  It's only 8 feet, and will be MUCH cheaper than repairing the
structure if any of the piers fail laterally.

----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.