Re: Near-Source Factor for non-structural components

In zone 4, Ca is determined as a function of Na so it would apply... regardless of whether you're calculating lateral forces for the main LRFS per 1630, elements and components per 1632 or non-building structures per 1634. The Ca, Na, Cv & Nv parameters are defined by the soil supporting and transmitting seismic loads into the structure. I think of it this way, the site doesn't know or care whether it's transmitting loads into a main LRFS, element or component, etc.

Chris

From: "Ed Tornberg" <edt(--nospam--at)blazerind.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Near-Source Factor for non-structural components
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:58:22 -0800

Hey Cal-masters,

Does UBC 1629.4.2 only allow "N sub a" to be 1.1 for main LRFS?  The
phrase says "structures", but is this assumed to apply to section 1632
stuff - equipment?
Gotta water tank in a building on the San Andreas fault.

The blue book C104.4.3 last paragraph seems to indicate the 1.1 is
mainly dependant on conditions 1-5, in a way that is generally
attributable to the LRFS.

TIA,

Ed Tornberg, PE
Blazer Industries, Inc.