Re: Near-Source Factor for non-structural components

Ed,

Upon re-read, my post was about as clear as mud. My understanding is that this exception applies only to main LRFS. Components, elements, non-buildings, etc. are stuck with the Na value in the tables. The exception benefits only main LRFS's for highly regular, redundant structures. The fact that the exception lists rho=1 backs this up. Rho doesn't even apply to elements, components or non-building structures.

Chris

From: "Ed Tornberg" <edt(--nospam--at)blazerind.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Near-Source Factor for non-structural components
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:58:22 -0800

Hey Cal-masters,

Does UBC 1629.4.2 only allow "N sub a" to be 1.1 for main LRFS?  The
phrase says "structures", but is this assumed to apply to section 1632
stuff - equipment?
Gotta water tank in a building on the San Andreas fault.

The blue book C104.4.3 last paragraph seems to indicate the 1.1 is
mainly dependant on conditions 1-5, in a way that is generally
attributable to the LRFS.

TIA,

Ed Tornberg, PE
Blazer Industries, Inc.