From: Chris Roper [mailto:christophermroper(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 1:55 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Near-Source Factor for non-structural components

In zone 4, Ca is determined as a function of Na so it would apply...
regardless of whether you're calculating lateral forces for the main
LRFS
per 1630, elements and components per 1632 or non-building structures
per
1634.  The Ca, Na, Cv & Nv parameters are defined by the soil supporting
and
transmitting seismic loads into the structure.  I think of it this way,
the
site doesn't know or care whether it's transmitting loads into a main
LRFS,
element or component, etc.

Chris

>From: "Ed Tornberg" <edt(--nospam--at)blazerind.com>
>To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>Subject: Near-Source Factor for non-structural components
>Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:58:22 -0800
>
>Hey Cal-masters,
>
>Does UBC 1629.4.2 only allow "N sub a" to be 1.1 for main LRFS?  The
>phrase says "structures", but is this assumed to apply to section 1632
>stuff - equipment?
>Gotta water tank in a building on the San Andreas fault.
>
>The blue book C104.4.3 last paragraph seems to indicate the 1.1 is
>mainly dependant on conditions 1-5, in a way that is generally
>attributable to the LRFS.
>
>TIA,
>

>Ed Tornberg, PE
>Blazer Industries, Inc.
>
>Aumsville, OR
>503-749-1900

>*
>*
>*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
>*
>*   site at: http://www.seaint.org

MSN Messenger with backgrounds, emoticons and more.
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_customize