Expected soil settlement.

I'm in the process of putting together a proposal for a custom single family residence within a tract development.  The soils report states that differential settlement up to 1-1/2" in 30' and a total settlement of 3" should be the "post-construction settlements."  This seems to be a little excessive for a house that will be built on engineered compacted fill.  The soils report also recommends a post-tension design using the PTI method.

My question is even if I design a stiff post-tension slab, how would you explain to the owner that their brand new houes they just spent millions on is out of level by 3"?  I asked the soils engineer about putting the house on piles to limit the amount of settlement and his response was that none of the other houses others have engineered in the area have had to have been built on piles.

What are other engineer's thoughts having to design for so much settlement and, how to expain this to the owner?  Thanks in advance.

Jason Tani, PE