Re: CMU Column Ties (horizontal)

Dennis:

I don't have my UBC with me, but I do have the 2002 MSJC (masonry code).
Section 1.13.6.5 requires the use of ties (at least #3) in columns at no
more than 8" OC for Seismic Design Catergories D, E, and F.  This would
equate roughly to zone 3 or 4 in the UBC.  Presumably, the UBC has a
simillar provision.

In addition, section 2.1.6.5a requires that lateral ties enclose
longituduinal reinforcement.  The ties must be at least #2 bars.  Section
2.1.6.5b gives the spacing requirements.  Thus, it would seem to me that
if you don't have vertical reinforcement then you don't need ties.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI