Re: CMU Column Ties (horizontal)

This may be a half baked idea but what if they grout the wall with concrete that has dramix or some other steel hair in it.  If it can help resist flexure loads in slabs, why not nonexistent shear loads in small pilasters?

Mike O'

12                               Message:0012                           12
From: Charley Hamilton <chamilto(--nospam--at)uci.edu>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: CMU Column Ties (horizontal)

Dennis -

Is there any load path (intentional or unintentional) from the
fencing to the columns?  This may place some demand on the
columns if someone loads the fence, making the columns
more than just decorative features.  However, I can't imagine
this demanding more lateral capacity than provided by the
fully-grouted CMUs, especially with rebar.  Unless someone
crashes a car into it.  ;-)  Depending on what fronts on
the pool, this might actually be a problem.

The other concern about omitting the ties would come not
from the issue of fencing loads on the columns, but seismic
demand.  You might check the columns as either non-building
structures or non-structural components of buildings per
UBC'97 (or whatever is current in the jurisdiction).  Just
check the shear demand, and show whether or not the ties are
necessary.  Even at 1g lateral, back of the envelope suggests
there's no real problem.  However, my copy of the UBC is at
the office, and I can't recall if there is a provision for
minimum lateral reinforcing that might open you to
substantial liability if you recommend against the ties.

Charley

--
Charles Hamilton, PhD EIT               Faculty Fellow
Department of Civil and                 Phone: 949.824.3752