Re: CMU Column Ties (horizontal)

> But, per the 2002 MSJC, _ALL_ columns must have ties if they have vertical
> steel.  Now, Rich pointed out something on point...your "columns" don't
> fall under the definition of columns in the MSJC, even though teh
> definition of the column in the MSJC is a little less than clear.

It's all about terminology.  If you CALL it a column, then the building
official looks in the column section of the code and pulls out references to
ties and such.  Instead, call it a short "wall" with closely spaced returns
which brace each other.  It helps if you look at in plan - the length of
each "wall" is 6 times it's thickness.  I don't know what seismic zone the
project is in, but there might be a requirement for a bond beam at the top
level to tie it all together, unless there is an exception for 4" CMU.  A
single bond beam in the top course (even if it requires replacing the top
course with 6" CMU) is much better than #2 ties @ 8" o.c.

Even better, call it a "fence", which as someone already mentioned is
exempt.

One final option would be to fill the center portion with lean concrete
(designed as unreinforced) and call the CMU a "veneer".

----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.