From: Rick Burch [mailto:rburch(--nospam--at)conterra.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2003 5:16 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: CMU Column Ties (horizontal)

Dennis,
This may not matter to you out there in UBC country,  but these aren't
columns under ACI 530 either. I think (I don't have my copy here at
home) that columns are defined as being more than 4 times as tall as
they are thick.

I know that the guy who asked a question about 4" CMU earlier wasn't
interested in discussing the difficulty of reinforcing and grouting 4"
CMU, so I"ll ask you - how the heck do you get rebars, much less grout,
in the cells of 4" CMU?

Thanks,

Rick Burch
Columbia, SC