From: THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com [mailto:THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com]
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 8:16 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Galvanized Rebar

David,

Most likely not.  Galvanized rebar is stilled used by certain industries for
corrosion protection.  Sewage treatment plants use to use it a lot.  It has
lost favor over the years since studies have shown that although it will
increase corrosion protection versus uncoated bars it is not a big bang for
your buck.  Your only issue might be if you weld it, in which case you would
probably want to remove the zinc near the welds.

The American Galvanizers Associations still pushes this and you can find
literature on galvanized rebar at:

www.galvanizeit.org

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"M. David Finley, P.E." <pec(--nospam--at)isgroup.net>
11/17/2003 04:57 AM Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

To<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
SubjectGalvanized Rebar

A contractor inadvertantly ordered galvanized rebar for some sign structure
foundations.  I've never used galvanized rebar - are there any
issues/precautions that I should be concerned about?

M. David Finley, P.E.
2086 SW Main Boulevard - Suite 111
Lake City, FL  32025
386-752-6400