From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 2:54 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court Clarifies the Title
"Engineer"

As Jim point out, in many states that PE act only restricts the use of
the
title "Professional Engineer".  All other uses of the term "engineer" is
FULLY permitted by law in such states.

The NCEES website has a PDF file that lists responses to a survey that
included a question as to what terms are restricted.  The link to the
survey response to this question is:

http://www.ncees.org/licensure/licensing_requirements/2003_survey_result
s/e_01.pdf

(note: the link ends in "...esults/e_01.pdf" and may require pasting
into
your browser)

According to that survey response, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is
one
of those states (i.e. "Professional Engineer" is the only restricted
term/title).  What is suprising is that the responses were supposedly
supplied by the board, so in theory the Pennsylvania board should not
have
ruled as they did in the first place and should not have needed
"clarification" from the court.

FWIW, the NCEES site also has survey responses for a bunch of other
interesting issues.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Jim Persing wrote:

> I believe that in most of the western states the line is drawn at
being a "professional" engineer and also not holding oneself out to
perform work that is regulated by the professional engineers acts.
Otherwise, anything goes.  I'm actually surprised that the original
finding was to find against the project engineer and fine him.