Re: Galvanized Rebar

	David,
		The reports of galvanized rebar fracturing may have come
from too tight bends. I have not looked at it in the past couple of years,
but ASTM A 767 has required larger radius bends for #7 and #8 bars if the
bars were to be galvanized afterwards. And I have snapped different size
bars that were mistakenly bent tighter than ACI bends, then galvanized.
There are lots of rules intended to prevent embrittlement of steel during
galvanizing. One simple one is the length of time in the kettle. Both
fabrication and galvanizing could be issues.
	Jim Getaz
	Winchester, Virginia