RE: Steel-Detail: cost of field drilling holes

What is the reason for needing to drill the holes?  And do you have a cost
breakdown from the contractor or just one lump sum?  If it's the latter, I'd
get a breakdown to find out what markups they might be applying.  We often
argue with contractors about the difference between "work required to
complete the building" (e.g., the steel guy missed a bunch of lintels) and
true "changes to the scope of work" (e.g., the owner decides to change
siding to brick veneer).  In the former case, we feel they're not entitled
to the various contractor and subcontractor markups (which I've seen be as
much as 20%-25% of the total cost).

Gary

Gary J. Ehrlich, P.E.
Meyer Consulting Engineers Corp.