X-braces

This something that I thought I knew, but a computer program is calling me a
liar.

I have a single story building with steel concentrically braced frames.
It's in a low seismic area and I'm using R=3.0, so AISC seismic rules do not
apply.  Standard slotted HSS X-brace, centered on work points at top and
bottom .

Here's my question:  Does the tension member serve to laterally brace the
compression member?  It obviously does in the plane of the braced bay.  My
argument is that since the opposite member is in tension, it doesn't allow
the compression member into out-of-plane first order buckling along its full
length.  Instead, the compression brace is forced into second-order buckling
with the center of the "X" as the node.

Any comments?

----
Jason W. Kilgore