RE: Rock Anchors - any recommendations

Gautum,

Xanthakos also co-authored a text entitled "Ground Control and Improvement"
and one of the co-authors is Donald Bruce who

The British Code BS 8081 -Ground Anchorages is one of the best references I
use for ground anchor design and also testing. It also has many references
to Bruce and also Littlejohn (from the UK) who are noted professionals in
this area.

There is the Post-Tensioning Institute "Recommendations on the Design of
Ground Anchors" that gives some basic info etc. Also deals with corrosion
protections, proof and performance testing etc.

The design of rock/soil anchors is rather simple checking for the possible
failure types. Contact your geo engineer and see what magnitude of allowable
wall friction and the % core loss that was experienced during his/her
investigation. Make allowances for saturated conditions, if applicable.
Include proof and performance testing in your specifications to verify
tension capacity.

I would suggest you contact a few specialty geo-construction firms whom
design/construct ground anchors. Often the design is based around locally
available geo/drilling techniques and practices etc.

HTH

Mark Geoghegan
Honolulu, HAWAII