Re: Joints in Slabs on Ground

There is an option to the problems and hassels of joints in slabs on grade.
 The option is to add some additional reinforcing and do not require any
joints.  This is done all the time on roads so why not building slabs.  I
have used #5 each way in a 5 inch thick slab on grade with no problems.
Sure there will be some cracks but they will be small, well spaced and
typically do not need to be repaired.

The option is to spending a lot of effort with joints in the slab and still
having cracks in locations other than the joints.  The reality is that
practically nobody designs and installs crack control joints so that they
will really work.

We have had no problems with clients although you may find a developer who
freaks out at the higher level of reinforcement.  We even had a
design-build contractor accept this approach because it would minimize
problems with slabs on grade.

Mark Gilligan