2003 IBC load combnations & wood design

In looking at the 2003 IBC ASD basic load combinations and Alternate basic load combinations (1605.3.1 & 1605.3.2) for wood design, it looks like a stress increase for load duration for is allowed under the basic load combinations where wind or seismic loads are included, however no other allowable stress increases are allowed.  Under the alternate basic load combinations an allowable stress increase can be used where permitted by the material codes if wind or seismic loads are included.

My question is this: It appears that the other adjustment factors such as repetitive member factor, Cr, flat use factor, Cfu, which effectively increase allowable stresses are no longer permitted for ASD design.   What about when you’re designing for only dead and live loads? Am I missing something?  Are wood designers in effect being pushed into LRFD design?  Any insight would be appreciated.

TIA

Dan Morrow, P.E.

Swenson Say Fagét Structural Engineers

2124 3rd Ave. Suite 100

Seattle, WA  98121

206-956-3745 (direct)

206-443-4870 (fax)

email: dmorrow(--nospam--at)swensonsayfaget.com