RE: 2003 IBC load combnations & wood design

Dan,

This is one of those poorly written clauses in the code carried over from the UBC. The adjustment factors still must be applied for wood design. Most do not help, but some, like repetitive member (Cr), do (are greater than 1.0) and are still appropriate to use.

The “Duration of Load” is a material specific term CsubD (as you know) in wood and that’s why they worded it that way. The intent was to remove the 1.33 increase for steel but not wood. Saying no other allowable increase is allowed is a little too broad and another point for plan checkers to squabble over.

One bone of contention I have is why is it okay to use Cd=1.6 in NDS design for seismic, but UBC is 1.33 except for a couple of fastener failure modes??? I think the IBC limits Cd to 1.33 as well….  Oh well…

Hth,

-gm