Re: Bolt edge distance-steel

Tarek Mokhtar wrote:

> Table J 3.5 (ASD) shows the minimum edge distances for bolts under
> two columns showing different values. one column is for sheared edges
> and the other for rolled edges. What is the difference between the two, and which one applies to base plates
>
> Tarek Mokhtar, SE
> Laguna Beach, CA

The edge distances in Table J3.5 may not be applicable for the current anchor rod hole sizes. Table 14-2 of the 3rd Edition LRFD lists a 1-5/16" hole diameter for a 3/4" diameter anchor rod.  With the increased anchor rod sizes, you may need to increase your edge distance to 2" for a 3/4" rod.

--
Davis G. Parsons II, PE RA FAEI
a practical architectural engineer

"Education is what you get from reading the fine print;
 Experience is what you get from ignoring it."