2003 IBC load combnations & wood design

Title: 2003 IBC load combnations & wood design

The load duration factor, C_D=1.6, for wind and seismic is permitted in the IBC for all connection yield modes. If you're interested in reviewing the cyclic tests done on connections to verify this, take a look at the following webpage and follow the link to Shearwall and Connection reports at the bottom of the page:

http://www.awc.org/technical/index.html#Connections

Also, as Gerard accurately indicates, the load duration factor is a material specific term for wood, which is distinct from the 1/3 "load probability factor." There's a thread on this topic in the archives.

All other adjustment factors for wood including repetitive member, wet service, temperature, etc., are applicable as well.

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media