Re: Bolt edge distance-steel

> From: "Effland, Greg" <geeffland(--nospam--at)butlermfg.com>

> Sheared and rolled edges are just like their name indicates.  Sheared edges
> are edges of plates that have been mechanically sheared (assume same for
> flame cut) and the rolled edges are the edges that are on the sides of

Hmmm. It was my understanding that the difference was the result of the
trauma that the steel suffered at sheared edges and the resulting uneven
and cracked edge that was formed. Sort of like the extra that must be
taken for punched holes when determining net section. This does not
occur with flame cut edges and holes.

> For base plates I would always assume sheared edges.  Even it the base plate

Most fabricators would use the sheared edge distance for all
applications unless space was really tight. You don't necessarily know
how something will be fabricated until after design is complete.

> From: Tarek Mokhtar [mailto:tarooky(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]

> two columns showing different values. one column is for sheared edges and
> the other for rolled edges. What is the difference between the two, and
> which one applies to base plates

Steel is cheap. Don't get too excited about saving a few mm of plate
width. If you already have the final product and are concerned about the
edge distance, it's probably not a serious issue on a base plate.

Also, if the shear force on the anchor is not approaching the limit for
a hole filling A325, you are probably okay using the lower edge
distance. Explicit limits in the standards are targeted at the ultimate
condition.

Maybe Charlie Carter can comment (or point to a document) about effect
of edge distance under 3 conditions:
1) bolt shear force toward the edge of plate
2) bolt shear force parallel to the edge of plate
3) bolt tension near the edge of plate

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International