RE: 1930's Poured in Place Concrete Building

Dennis,

As Jake and Gerard pointed out, you might be in a position of having to
satisfy more than UCBC guidelines/requirements due to either a change in
occupancy and/or an addition.  In theory, your apparent change in
occupancy (from your post at least) would lessen the loads, but then there
is the "temporal" shift from a 1930's code (or lack of one) and the
current 1997 UBC.  While the occupancy might be going from an "essential"
facility (an old firestation from your post) to a "normal" building, if
the local jurisdiction still calls it a change of occupancy an makes you
meet the current requirements for the "normal" building, then it is
likely your loads will increase anyways, not to mention the ductile
detailing requirements.  Regardless, the addition of the mezzanine should
require you to bring much, if not all, of the building up to current code,
unless you isolate the mezzanine from the original building.  Thus, I
agree with both Gerard and Jake...you are likely facing a requirement to
"bring" it up to current code.  Although, I have to admit that I don't see
the "upgrade" type provisions in the UBC that I am used to in the BOCA/IBC
(but then I am not too terribly familiar with the UBC).

As to the concrete walls, have you had compressive tests done on the cores
or were they just for visual inspection/observation?  You mention the "too
much aggregate and local desert sand", but do you have an idea how that
translates into actual current concrete strength?  How "bad" is the
concrete (i.e. if lightly hit/tap with a hammer does it crumble, etc)?
Just from your minimal description, I would say that your first
inclination for the long sidewalls makes sense to me.  My gut (without
testing or other information) is that those walls would likely be
basically OK.  You have a nice long stretch of wall, so you probably have
much more shearwall than you need...meaning the load per foot should be
rather small.  Your only problem can be what you choose to use for R in
determining seismic loading (see above).  If you use the code value of 4.5
(bearing wall system with concrete shearwalls), then your shearwalls would
have to met ductile detailing requirements, which is rather unlikely (all
assuming that you must meet current code requirements).  You might want to
look into a lower R value so that the system behaves in a more elastic
way.  This would obviously increase the loads but could eliminate the need
to follow prescriptive ductile detailing requirements.  This is a method
that is "permitted" (at least to my knowledge) and used in my area when
dealing with steel moment frames (if you use R=3 or less, then some
ductile detailing requirements for steel aren't required, like a lot of
the requirements that came about due to Northridge).

As to the from of the building, you might want to look into a concrete
moment frame rather than a steel one, if it will fit in the design.  A
concrete moment frame should be "naturally" more stiff than a steel moment
frame, which will help with the relative rigidity issue.  This in
combination with reinforcing the rearwall with shotcrete or
cast-in-place concrete could work.  Your other option would be to
"abandon" the rear wall as a shearwall (would require isolating it) and
putting a moment frame at the rear as well as at the front, making the
system in that direction a pure moment frame system rather than a dual
system.

As to the deterioration of the concrete on the sidewalls, similar
questions from above come to mind.  Can you be more specific as to what
you mean by deterioration?  Is the concrete spalling, meaning the cover to
the rebar is falling away, but the main part of the wall is still intact
with reasonably good concrete?  If so, then all you would really need is
something to protect rebar, as that is all the cover really is there for
(assumes two layers of bars, not one in the center).  Or is the concrete
actually crumbling, including concrete inside the "core"?  If this is the
case, then you might have to consider something more drastice like
shotcrete (in otherwords, you concrete walls might be bad enough that they
need reinforcement).

As to your mezzanine plan, it sounds reasonable to me...just keep in mind
that it might mean that you have to bring the parts (if not all) of the
existing building up to current code.  If that becomes the case, then you
might want to isolate the mezzanine from the existing building, creating a
new, completely seperate "sub" structure (that would have to meet current
code).

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI