RE: cost of field drilling holes

I second this.  While I may not have been using the most current or
appropriate equipment, I have drilled holes by hand in steel without a mag
drill.  It is not too fun and can take sometime.  While I don't know if
this is common practice in real world, I had to start by drilling smaller
diameter holes and then increasing the bit size either once or twice when
I did this in the lab in preparing specimens for testing.  If a similar
method is used, then drilling set of holes (eight holes) in a hour is not
too realistic is only one person is doing it.  Plus, drilling through 1"
of steel with a hand drill will take a while (a mag drill or even a drill
press will help).  So, 10 hours to drill the sets of holes seems a little
on the light side to me...but could be realistic is a mag drill could be
used.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI