Re: Joints in Slabs on Ground

My post with reference to a "professional Engineer" was in direct response to the following post.
This lecture with NO mention of "recommended spacing" (meaning its location) is of no use to a "professional Engineer" who is waiting to put that on the shop drawing.
With respect to taking opinions from someone you know nothing about,  yes, I do think that is probably a bad idea.  I didn't say it was a bad idea to ask for opinions,  but I think whoever is doing the asking needs to have enough knowledge to sift through the often widely-varying opinions. For example, there was a post recently on wind design.  I didn't read the responses closely, but it seemed like the suggested coefficients ran from  -0.3 to 1.8.

When you ask opinions of someone you know, you probably know what kind of experience they have.

I have found that even when you have talked with someone over the phone, without ever having met them, it is sometimes difficult to determine whether they know what they are talking about.   New graduates, in particular, tend to have confidence far out of proportion to their experience.

And for what it is worth,  I actually do know the authors of most of the concrete textbooks and  reference texts currently in use.   It is one of the benefits of being involved in ACI.  You get to shake hands with them and chat with them at receptions.   Sometimes you get to sit next to them at committee meetings. And even more thrilling, sometimes you get to ride on the shuttle from the airport with one of them.  Actually,  the only person of note I have ridden on the shulttle with was Allen Face of Face Floor Numbers Fame and I think it was about one o'clock in the morning.  But I did learn quite a bit about floors in the hour it took to get to the hotel..

I don't know many wood or steel textbook authors (other than Chuck Salmon, because he is also a concrete textbook author), but I don't do any steel or wood design, so I don't need to ask many questions.

Gail Kelley