From: Cratylus Consulting Group [mailto:cratylus(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent:
Wednesday, November 19, 2003 9:55 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: No more A35F

Some fellows will still flatten the A35's, or bend the the A35F in the field. Or use a little of both (A35's and LTP4's)

10 years after Northridge, I am still seeing workmen fabricating (creatively) connectors of their own design:
unusual combination of fasteners (10s, 8s, commons, box, even galvanized nails fastening a single connector),
poorly seated framing hardware and a lot of substitution (what we call drop!). Worse, there is more hem fir
sill plates being used now than there ever was!

You need to watch them carefully Dennis!

Steven A.
Los Angeles

Dennis Wish wrote:

Just to let all of you know, Simpson is no longer making the A34F connector. It is replaced by the Simpson LTP4 which has a higher lateral (H direction) value. I was unaware of then until Tom Harris caught it on a Plan Review he is doing for the City of Palm Desert. Good eyes, Tom – thanks for letting me know.

We need to start looking closer at the material catalogs we use in daily work. I use the Online Simpson catalogs which are extremely helpful.

Dennis S. Wish, PE