Re: Shear wall Beam Design

Jose:

I would second what Charlie posted.  The load combinations that you cite
would applied just like any other load combinations.  The only difference
is that the combinations and combination factors are a little different
from those in 1612.2 or 1612.3.

As to how they "apply", it depends on the loading.  You take the loading
as you typically would (D and L basically vertical loading and Em
basically horizontal with a possible vertical component) and apply them
with the appropriate load factors to your structural system (a beam that
supports two walls).  You will have to analyze how the loads transmit
through the wall to the beam to determine what loads are applied to the
beam (there should be some vertical loads on the beam due to vertical
loads transmitted through the wall plus lateral loads causing the wall to
"flex" in its cantilever mode...and there likely should be some axial load
in the beam from horizontal load transmitted through the walls).  But,
this analysis would be not different if you were to use the load
combinations in section 1612.2 or 1612.3.

The biggest difference is the use of Em rather than E.  This means you
must use the maximum earthquake load that can be transmitted to the system
from the rest of the building not the code definied "applied" load.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI