RE: Connections

John -

My question would be what did you originally agree to do, either
explicitly or implicitly? What are your client's expectations?

>From my experience, it's always better to over detail than either under
detail or leave the detailing up to someone else (fabricator, framer,
etc.). The former will help reduce field questions, problems in the
field (fixes) and even (possibly) litigation.

My recommendation is to suck it up, detail the job the best you know how
and, when (right after) the job is complete, go back and review your
office practice. Ask yourself if there was any area where you could have
been more efficient? Have you created enough "standard" details? Do you
use spreadsheets/proprietary software in the most efficient manner? I
suggest trimming these areas, not the detailing.

FWIW, from my perspective, I have just finished a job where I believe I
spent more time sketching (and back checking) details than I did doing
calculations (none of which were hand calcs, BTW). But, that's just me.
I HATE questions from the field! By the time I get them, I'm thinking
about something else. I also believe engineering is as much "fit" as it
is "calc".

Just my two cents.

Happy Thanksgiving.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA
http://members.cox.net/ballense/