Re: Connections

John,

Having the fabricator's engineer design and stamp shop drawings is a
plague up here.  Many consultants specify this under the mistaken
impression that this relieves them of responsibility for the design
of connections.  There is something to be said for having the
fabricator choose his own connections because he will choose the most
economical, easy to install connections suitable for his schedule.
However, it is important, crucial even, that the designer review
these connections.  I do so but there are others that do not.  To
those people, I usually say one thing: "Kansas City Hyatt Hotel".
They need to read their building code and their performance
guidelines.

Gary Hodgson, P.Eng.
Niagara Falls, ON