Lateral Deflection of Masonry Wall Building

Several years ago I asked this question and got a good response.  I was thumbing through my 2000 IBC the other day and came across Table 1617.3 - Allowable Story Drift.  For masonry cantilever shear wall the allowable story drift is 0.010*h which is equal to h/100.  For other masonry shear wall buildings the allowable story drift is 0.007*h which is equal to h/142.  Now I know this is in the seismic design section but Section 2108.5.1 refers to this table for story drifts in the general strength design section.  I don't have the text in front of me but I know there is an AISC manual on low-rise steel construction that would agree with these high sidesway values for masonry wall construction with steel framing.

>From my post several years ago I came away with the conclusion that most engineers design for wind sidesway of h/400 to h/500 using the 10 year wind when masonry walls are present for the majority of the building.  As I wrote in other post I sent on slender wall design, I have a pre-engineered metal building with a 30 feet eave height.  The exterior walls will be masonry.  H/100 for this condition is a 3.6" sidesway.  This seems too much for me.  H/400 would knock this down to 0.9".  I know this will increase the steel cost, but it seems to me that this is more appropriate for this conditions.

What other opinions are out there regarding sidesway of pre-engineered metal building with masonry exterior walls?

Thanks.

Rich

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!