Re: Connections

One thing I would caution is the statement that the fabricator will provide the most economical connection.  This is only moderately true when the structural fabricator is also the erector.  Where the fabricator is only suppling the steel (erection by others) they will design the connections so they are economical to fabricate in the shop but not necessarily to erect in the field.  I remember a Texas fabricator who came up with a set of standard connections which were basically weldless.  Every connection was a nightmare of bolted angles and plates.  One connection had 26 pieces!!  This was great for the fabricator since he only had to cut and punch.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Gary Hodgson & Associates" <ghodgson(--nospam--at)vaxxine.com>

11/27/2003 05:43 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Re: Connections

John,

Having the fabricator's engineer design and stamp shop drawings is a
plague up here.  Many consultants specify this under the mistaken
impression that this relieves them of responsibility for the design
of connections.  There is something to be said for having the
fabricator choose his own connections because he will choose the most
economical, easy to install connections suitable for his schedule.
However, it is important, crucial even, that the designer review
these connections.  I do so but there are others that do not.  To
those people, I usually say one thing: "Kansas City Hyatt Hotel".
They need to read their building code and their performance
guidelines.

Gary Hodgson, P.Eng.
Niagara Falls, ON

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp