RE: Connections

I have recently rejoined this list and missed most of the connection thread so I will add my $0.02.

I have been a structural detailer for the past 42 years. I served a government sponsored 5 year apprenticeship, did the school, shop and field learning and was granted certification from the Department of Labor.

            During my apprenticeship and for some years following, I was taught connection design and all the required formulae needed to produce economical connections. I doubt there is anything in the Steel

            Construction Manual that I was not taught.

            In those days, it was a requirement that the detailers do all of the connections on a project, regardless of complexity. The connections would of course be checked, usually by the checkers (former detailers).

            If a connection was in doubt, it would be reviewed by a designer and if there were still an issue, it would be sent to an Engineer for resolution.

            With the end of the apprenticeship program and the advent of the computer guru with his 3D software, the quality of detailing has taken a nosedive and detailers can no longer be trusted to design

            connections. With my passing and the passing of those who were trained in the same manner, it will be mandatory for Engineers to show all connections on their drawings.

              Regards, Dave