From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 11:05 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Connections

Shop drawings are not engineering drawings, nor are they engineering
calculations.  Shop drawings are instructions to the shop on how to cut,

drill, assemble, weld, etc., raw materials in the shop for
transportation to
the jobsite and subsequent erection.  Shop drawings are required to
comply
with engineering drawings and engineering calculations.

Engineering drawings and engineering calculations should be sealed by
the
engineer performing the design.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Scott Haan wrote:

. > Alaska state licensing law exempts specialty contractors from the
. > practice of engineering when creating shop drawings. Do other states
. > have similar provisions?

. > Under this Alaska's scenario the engineer is responsible for showing
. > design intent on the plans and the intent of the law is that a
specialty
. > contractor can come up with the shop drawings or placing drawings
based
. > on the engineers design intent.