RE: 2x2x3/16 plate washers, round washers ok?

Title: 2x2x3/16 plate washers, round washers ok?
I have heard of only the square plate washers in CA & NV.

Pat Clark

From: Haan, Scott M. [mailto:HaanSM(--nospam--at)ci.anchorage.ak.us]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 10:12 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 2x2x3/16 plate washers, round washers ok?

Hello:

The 97 UBC and the 2000 IBC have a requirement for 2x2x3/16 plate washers.  Anchorage recently adopted the 2000 IRC and 2000 IBC for residential construction.  Prior to that home construction was to the 1995 CABO and 1994 UBC.  The plate washer requirement just began to be enforced for home construction last summer.

My understanding is that the code intends square plate washers. Has any jurisdiction allowed round washers with this diameter and thickness as an alternative to square plate washers How about round washers with an equivalent area?  Thanks.

Respectfully,

Scott M. Haan P.E.

Chief of Building Inspections

Municipality of Anchorage