RE: Connections

Cliff:

The universities can't find the time because the four years for a BSE
degree is completely filled by courses require to meet ABET accreditation
requirements.  This means lot's of "general" civil engineering courses
that us structural types might never use again.

I do agree that a (structural) drafting course would be useful.  I took a
ME CAD course (with a two week hand-drafting crash course included) as an
elective.  It was EXTREMELY benefitial to me.  Further, while TAing a
basic structures course while working graduate work, I introduced a "lab"
that taught the students to read structural plans and details (this after
spending my first 3 days of so on my first job "learning" structural
drawings.

But the simple truth is that there is a limit to what all can be taught at
the undergrad level.

Regards,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI