From: <rlewistx(--nospam--at)juno.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 12:45 PM
Subject: Tall light pole foundation

> I was asked to design a foundation for a tall light stand.  This is the
kind found in a football or baseball stadium.  It will be 80 feet high, plus
or minus, with a rectangular pattern of lights, 20 or 30.

> I have designed foundation for lights in the past, but not this tall or
heavy.  Are there design standards for designing the foundation and
anchorage?  I have the COM624 program and the FL Dot program for drilled
pier foundations.  I know my design will be site specific with local
geotechnical properties used in the design, but in general, for those of you
who have designed these before, how deep can I expect the foundation to be?
What size drilled pier would be appropriate?  I can see it being at least a
24" dia., perhaps 30" or 36".