RE: Structural Drafting course (was RE: Connections)

Mark,

While I am not familiar with Cal Poly/SLO's program, I would assume that
it is like any other architectural engineering undergrad program.  If so,
then in reality, the degree is STILL a "general" architectural engineering
program with a "specialty" in structural (as opposed to a specialty in
electrical or mechanical).  While certainly different (and in many ways
better) than a general civil engineering program, it will still have the
same basic premise...you will graduate with a general knowledge of the
field (architectural engineering) with some minimal specialization (i.e.
in structural).  In otherwords, you will take a lot of "general"
architectural engineering courses (some basic mechanical, electrical, and
even architectural in addition to basic structural courses) with just a
few courses really directed toward your "specialty".

The end result is that I can certainly see that such a program would be
much better in MANY regards for a budding structural type who wants to go
into buildings.  OTOH, it would like be a waste on a budding structural
type that wants to go into bridges.

Basically, I should have been clearer when a mentioned a structural
degree.  I meant a Bacholar of Science in STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING or a
Bacholar of Science in Engineering (STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING) that is
ABET accreditted (a beast that does not exist).  I would assume that the
Cal Poly/SLO degree would be a Bacholar of Science in ARCHITECTURAL
ENGINEER or a Bacholar of Science in Engineering (ARCHITECTURAL
ENGINEERING) which in some regards is very similar to the Bacholar of
Science in Engineering (Civil Engineering) that I received in Michigan and
most other schools.  The function difference is that my general courses
were in civil engineering while someone from a architectural engineering
program would have "general" course work in architectural engineering (so
of which would be structural as in the civil program).  Neither of which
would have near as many structural courses as a true undergrad structural
program.

FWIW, I doubt that anyone who went through a undergrad AE program took
anymore structural courses than I did.  Of course, it helps that I am a
geek that could have graduated in 3.5 years but instead took extra
structural courses.  A "normal" student is civil program likely has a few
less structural courses than a architectural eng program student (but not
that many fewer).  Where the AE student will really gain a benefit is a
better understanding of overall building systems and likely get more
"practical" type course work (at least that is the impression that I got
from reviewing PSU's AE program).

Regards,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI