drafting

Title: Message
I agree with Scott, a drafting/ plan reading class in school would have been invaluable. Even some little 2 credit hour class.  At my school we had such a thing, but mechanical and civil students were all thrown together. I ended up doing isometric dwgs of car parts on Autocad and learning some outdated hand drafting techniques. I never saw a set of building plans.

I would redo the class like this- get an engineer who knows CAD or even a good CAD tech from the community who is up to date on the latest technology. Separate the disciplines, this could be done in your last year even, so Civil people are doing site plans, Structural are doing building plans, and the MEs can draw nuts and bolts if they want. Teach them to read a foundation plan, schedules, typical notes, and what a section cut is. Show them some basic steel detailing like weld symbols and call outs of different shapes, and some basic concrete detailing. Bring in some arch plans and teach some coordination skills. Show them shop drawings.

But then again, someone else will argue that is what your first boss will do your first week on the job, or at your internship........

Maybe if "they don't have enough time" ABET and the EI people could get their heads out of their butts and stop requiring someone who knows they want to do structures to take: Intro to Elect, Thermo, Hydraulics, Intro to Environ, Dynamics, etc. It has not made me a better SE or made me more well rounded. I do not remember any of that crap. And I should not get started on how useful my psychology and film classes are at all these cocktail parties I go to...............

Andrew Kester, EI
Longwood, FL