Engineering Education

--- "David L. Fisher" <dfisher(--nospam--at)fpse.com> wrote:
> Give me an "old timer" any day over the CAD geek, particularly when it

> comes to steel detailing!!!
>

> I, personally, wish graduate engineers would be
> required to work as
> detailers prior
> To working as design engineers (like in the old
> days).

> David L. Fisher, SE, PE

OK, David, what do you set your young engineers to doing in your office?
Can you pay them to detail connections for two years?

I remember my first boss, a great guy, bemoaning the fact that young
engineers these days (actually those days, 20 years ago) weren't
required to draft for a couple years like he had been in his formative
years, right after WW2.  I reminded him that I was doing what he gave me
to do, and if he wanted me to draw, I would do it.  It didn't pay, and
he kept me designing concrete slab bridges.

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota