Was connections ..

As was pointed out to me, most engineers using finite-element programs to design post-tensioned buildings are not designing.  They are "modeling" and "meshing"  and feeling quite sophisicated.  Physical realities such as as loads that need to get transferred to a foundation are seldom considered.  As long as they have convergence, they have a design.

Finite element analysis can be a great tool for those who understand what they are doing.  However, engineers who actually do understand at least the basics of post-tensioning tend to prefer "strip-based" programs because they provide a better feel for the design.  Experienced engineers are able to use them very efficiently.

To me, an engineering firm that boasts it is using "the latest finite element programs" for their design is signaling that they proably know very little about post-tensioning.

Gail  Kelley