RE: Engineering Education

Bill:

I sit corrected...you are correct, what I meant to say was indeed DRAFTING.

Heck, VERY few kids out of school these days can really produce a hand drawn
sketch!

A computer is exactly as you indicate, a TOOL, no matter if it's being used
For "drafting" or finite element analysis.

As we all know, just because something was produced on or with the use of a
computer, does not make it right.

Too many young engineers (and a few experienced ones as well, for that
matter) think that the
Computer is sacrosanct and don't even really LOOK at the analysis results or
the DRAWING.

"Well, the computer says the beam is going to deflect 6", so it must be
right..."

What's that saying??? "Garbage in, garage out."

What I try to do, sometimes successfully and sometimes not so successfully,
is make these kids
Really THINK about what they're doing before they do it.

I've had mixed results, to say the least.

Cheers,

David L. Fisher, SE, PE
Director
Head of Design and Construction