RE: Schooling (was Connections)

Cliff,

I think you're all over it.
Many schools do an excellent job in preparing their undergraduate
students to pass the EIT.  But when it comes time to "specialize in
structural engineering", that MS degree can be like funneling from a
bathtub into a capillary tube.
The system holds us hostage via the thesis - a huge investment in time
with often little transferrence to our future abilities in the field.
Oh, not that we should completely abandon it! - but any good school
willing to properly service its customer (the student), should offer a
non-thesis path that focuses on outstanding practical preparation rooted
in sound theory.  In that optional path there should be room for
introduction on how to draft (CAD or not), read drawings, and detail.

Let's look at another highly focused profession, the medical profession.
Roughly 4 years undergrad, plus roughly 4 years transitioning to the
specialty, plus whatever it takes for residency (sort of like intern).
A continual process zeroing in on what you're really going to do in
professional practice.  The residency pays low dollars, but from there
on the compensation is excellent.  Oh, where's the thesis on an obscure
subject?  Somehow they manage to get their professional research and
journal articles without requiring the thesis of EVERYBODY.

Now don't pick apart the parallels - I'm just trying to make a general
comparison.

I see no problem in questioning our entire system of engineering
education - let's drop the sense of tradition for a moment and think
freshly about what works and what doesn't.  Any examples?

Ed Tornberg