FEMA 350

One of my engineers is working on a project that needs to meet the
requirements of FEMA 350.  We are slowly working our way through the
requirements, but came upon a question that we couldn't figure out.  On
page 3-6, in equation 3-1, there is a term Ze (Z sub e).  This is defined
as the effective plastic modulus for the beam at the location of the
plastic hinge.  How do I determine Ze?  Is it the Z that is given in the
LRFD manual? Or does it need to be decreased (or increased) by some factor?
I've looked in the LRFD manual, but I can't find an equation that defines
how to determine Ze.

--Kipp Martin, SE
  MWH Americas
  Portland, Oregon