RE: FEMA 350

>One of my engineers is working on a project that needs to meet the
>requirements of FEMA 350.  We are slowly working our way through the
>requirements, but came upon a question that we couldn't figure out.  On
>page 3-6, in equation 3-1, there is a term Ze (Z sub e).  This is defined
>as the effective plastic modulus for the beam at the location of the
>plastic hinge.  How do I determine Ze?

Ze is the general expression used to represent the plastic section modulus
at the location at which the hinge is expected to form. For a reduced beam
section connection, Ze is the value of Z at the location of the largest
reduction in cross-section. For most other connection details in FEMA 350,
Ze is equal to Zx in the AISC Manual.

Charlie