From: Kipp.A.Martin(--nospam--at)us.mwhglobal.com [mailto:Kipp.A.Martin(--nospam--at)us.mwhglobal.com]

Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 3:04 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: FEMA 350

One of my engineers is working on a project that needs to meet the
requirements of FEMA 350.  We are slowly working our way through the
requirements, but came upon a question that we couldn't figure out.  On page
3-6, in equation 3-1, there is a term Ze (Z sub e).  This is defined as the
effective plastic modulus for the beam at the location of the plastic hinge.
How do I determine Ze?  Is it the Z that is given in the LRFD manual? Or
does it need to be decreased (or increased) by some factor? I've looked in
the LRFD manual, but I can't find an equation that defines how to determine
Ze.

--Kipp Martin, SE
  MWH Americas
  Portland, Oregon