RE: Schooling (was Connections)

Roger,

And this is where I have a problem.  If you think along this line, then it
implies that the "customer" (the profession) expects a finished "product"
(the student/young engineer).  The problem is the current "manufacturing
process" is not meant to produce a finished "product".  You really
need to liken the student "product" coming out of the schools as a engine
for a car.  The "customer" then buys that engine, but still has some
"work" to do to put the engine in the car before the "customer" really has
the final finished "product" that they can "drive" around.  In otherwords,
schools do supply a "product" (as they are meant to) but just not a
"product" in the completely final form that the "customer" really can just
go out an drive.

So, what you have is there are some that don't like to "build" their own
"car".  So, they rely on others to take the "product" from a school and
install it in the "car" and then "buy" the "car" from them.  In our
profession this would be those that don't hire anyone unless they have a
couple years of experience.

(Enough quotation marks for ya?)

Regards,

Scott