RE: Schooling (was Connections)

Scott,

You read too much in my comments.

The student is up for hire --- therefore he/she is a product, but a very
special product, one that improves with time.

The profession hires the now former student, hence the profession is the
customer --- the profession consumes engineering graduates.

The better the product, the more likely that the customer will want that
product.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Scott Maxwell wrote:

. > Roger,

. > And this is where I have a problem.  If you think along this line, then it
. > implies that the "customer" (the profession) expects a finished "product"
. > (the student/young engineer).  The problem is the current "manufacturing
. > process" is not meant to produce a finished "product".  You really
. > need to liken the student "product" coming out of the schools as a engine
. > for a car.  The "customer" then buys that engine, but still has some
. > "work" to do to put the engine in the car before the "customer" really has
. > the final finished "product" that they can "drive" around.  In otherwords,
. > schools do supply a "product" (as they are meant to) but just not a
. > "product" in the completely final form that the "customer" really can just
. > go out an drive.

. > So, what you have is there are some that don't like to "build" their own
. > "car".  So, they rely on others to take the "product" from a school and
. > install it in the "car" and then "buy" the "car" from them.  In our
. > profession this would be those that don't hire anyone unless they have a
. > couple years of experience.

. > (Enough quotation marks for ya?)

. > Regards,

. > Scott