Re: Perforated shearwall design

Charley-
IIRC there are 2 kinds of "perforated" walls--the Suiyama/Dolan/APA unreinforced walls, and the Diekmann reinforced opening wall.Which kind of walls are you testing & when will you be able to publish your results?
Chuck Utzman, P.E.

Charley Hamilton wrote:

Ah, you're asking about the loads on the beam, rather than the
loads on the wall.  I *would* consider the compresive loads as being
applied at the corner, but I would consider the tensile loads as
being applied at the location of the shear anchorages, however that
connection is made in your design, unless you provide a load path
to transfer the tension at the corner.

Dennis, however, does raise a point that may be worth considering.
It is important to establish your permissable level of deformation,
both lateral and uplift.  However, I would disagree with him
about the "carefully controlled" nature of the laboratory tests.

While people are generally very careful of overdrilling the holes,
nail head penetration is not as easily controlled.  In many tests,
nails are gun driven, as in the field, and shiners and overdriving
are not unknown.  For shiners, we typically catch them in
inspection.  However, overdriven nails we leave.  This is a
practice I have seen in other laboratories.  However, other
laboratories partially drive the nails using the gun, but
complete the installation with a hammer.  The argument about
proper installation holds equally well for proprietary shear
systems or cantilever columns.

The only problem with the argument about perforated walls
not yet standing the test of time, is that it is being used
to argue against their use.  If they're never used, they'll
never get a chance to "stand the test of time."  I am actually
conducting tests at the moment examining such walls, so my
point of view may not be completely unbiased.  However, I don't
have any particular vested interest in the outcome of my tests.
I just want the answer to the question about their performance.

Just my $0.02.

Charley