BS Degrees (emphasis on BS)

Title: Message
Sounds like I should have went to Cal Poly or PSU, and that is not the first time I have said that on this list. And it sure is not because I like Joe Paterno more then Bobby Bowden. It is because they offer realistic, applicable programs, that seem to cut to the chase rather then this practice of general education.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I feel this is a reoccuring, important topic on this list. We all had good and bad experiences in our different colleges, from all over the country and the globe. One thing that seems to be in common with all of us is that we feel we did not have enough concentration on our particular subject, to much BS in our BS. Some may say that this is good if you don't know what you want to do. I agree, but why punish those of us who KNOW what we want by making us meet general requirements?

 I don't think we need to abandon the general BS in Civil (for the people who are unsure what they want to do), but also offer a BS in Structural/Arch. Most universities could do this with existing staff, just a bit of rearranging and proper curriculum design. And if your university happens to have an architectural, mechanical, or electrical program, then possibly some courses in those disciplines as they relate to buildings and structures would be beneficial.

I know with many of us living in a heightened state of xenaophobia due to terrorism, and some of us angry at Europe for turning our back on us, now may not be the best time to mention this. But we can learn a lot from our friends in other countries (this IS how this country was built and made great). I have talked to lots of people from all over the world, and I think the US is the only one clinging to this liberal arts educational system. A former coworker from Scotland went to a Building Engineering program that started general then separated the mechanical , electrical, structural, etc. disciplines. No liberal arts classes, no Hydraulics or Dynamics, all building related classes. My father in law got his BS in Spain in Architecture, which actually includes all phases of building design, including structural.  Many foreign doctors go to school for 5 years (no undergrad).

Again, you can accomplish a lot in 4-5 years without all the "filler" classes. I guess the theory is the other subjects, the liberal arts, are studied in high school. Becoming a well rounded person does not start or end in the classroom. I went to school to get the skills and knowledge I needed to get a good job, the same reason most of us went. My sister just finished her degree in Optometry. 4 years of undergrad and 4 more of Optometry school. She now has student loans bigger then my mortgage. Could she have went straight to Optometry school, perhaps with a semester maybe of pre-req classes? YEP. (Other countries sure do). I always joke with her, and my brother in law who does the same, that they spent 8 years learning about the EYE, just one body part!? How can that be so complicated? (Evidently it IS.)

So why don't we get the focus back on job skills and professional training, rather then seeing how many credits can we graduate with, and how many different subjects we have to study, and how much debt we can pile up doing that??

Just some thoughts......

Andrew Kester