RE: Schooling (was Connections)

I agree Cliff...I know that our company is not really condusive to being a training house.  The shear number of jobs we get, most of small to medium size - as well as tight schedules and the never ending charge of billability seem to preclude the training aspects that do need to take place in some way, shape or form.

Unfortunately, the new grads we have gotten (that I have been involved with) when placed in a "wear a number of different hats"/"sink or swim" environment seem to sink like rocks.

I don't know how much of this can be attributed to the characteristics of the individuals involved vs. the training they received in college.  Quite frankly the on the job training I received in "the real world" has been more invaluable to me than any book smarts I ever absorbed - or lost for that matter.  Is there any place out there that produces jacks of all trades/masters of all - right out of the box?  If there is let me know.

_______________________________ITAC
John T. Whitty, P.E.
Industrial TurnAround Corporation
Sr. Project Manager
13203 N. Enon Church Road - Suite 200
Chester VA 23836
(804)414-1100 Main
(804)414-1132 Direct
(413)643-5912 Fax
(804)539-1234 Cell
(804)905-2781 Pager
jwhitty(--nospam--at)itac-net.com <mailto:jwhitty(--nospam--at)itac-net.com>

Celebrating 15 Years of Service!
A 2002 Rising 25 Finalist!
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.